Anyone can file a smoke complaint.
Clean air laws require local, state and federal burn agencies to have an effective smoke management plan to protect the public. When a smoke management plan fails, smoke does not go up and out into the atmosphere as planned.
IMPORTANT: Report smoke pollution to Air Quality Management District offices in California or Nevada, and to Tahoe Sierra Clean Air Coalition. Here’s how:
- Observe burn pile or prescribed burn smoke moving downward or flat (rather than straight upward and out) that is impacting communities, neighborhoods and recreation
- Locate the vicinity of the smoke by identifying street names or geographical locations
- Take photos with your smart phone if possible
- Call or Email a complaint to your local Air Quality Management District (For contact information and sample smoke complaint language, see below)
- Contact Tahoe Sierra Clean Air Coalition
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 775-345-3465 to let us know that you have made a complaint. Send us your photos if possible.